Web copywriting - the good and the not-so-good

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

No. Sorry. I can't write your website.

I've blogged before about my little availability guide on my homepage. The idea is to give people a realistic idea of when they can expect me to start working on any new projects.

At the moment, the date is racked right back until 18 April. This probably looks a little disingenuous - can he really be as busy? Well, yes - he can. What can I say? People want web copywriting courses and website copy.

And the strange thing is, I initially worried that the "No new work until..." date would turn away good business. If anything though, it's had the opposite effect.

This got me to thinking about restaurants. Strange, I know.

Quail eggs vs. web copywriting
There's a weird decision-making process that takes over when I try to decide where to eat if I'm in an unfamiliar place. Of course, I'll try to get recommendations or read reviews - but that's not always possible, especially if I'm travelling on business.

Nope - what I do is traipse around the restaurants and see which ones look busy. In fact, I'd actually choose a busy restaurant over one with a more impressive menu, or more reasonably-priced dishes.

I think my prospective customers are doing the same - rationalising that because I'm busy, I must be good. Which means I get busier. Of course, it helps that I am actually quite good at what I do.

How to use this in your website
People buy from busy suppliers. Make sure your website tells your customers what you're up to at the moment. It helps them understand the kind of work you do - and shows that you're in demand. A bit like looking into the window of a busy restaurant.

How to use this in your emails
Although I don't tell people my "No new work until..." date in my emails, I've got into the habit of including links to my most recent web copywriting projects. At the moment, these are:


It's not about bragging rights or anything like that. It's simply a way of letting people have a look at what I've been up to. And it's amazing how many times new clients want to borrow an idea from a site I've worked on in the past.

2 Comments:

  • Do you think that being reassuringly expensive works in a similar way? Or do clients have limits?!

    By Blogger Polon, at 5:50 PM  

  • Hi - yep... clients do indeed have limits.

    I'm also a member of 26, and I was amazed that some writers charge £1500 per day. That's a massive fee, and I'm not lucky (or brazen) enough to have clients willing to pay that much.

    In saying that, the bottom end of the scale quoted by 26 is laughable. I tend to find these people don't really have the experience, so I don't see them as competition.

    I always try to give clients a project price which reflects how long it will take me and how much value I'll add.

    And as a wise man once told me, "Be wary of client who tries to knock you down too much on price, for they will be a nightmare to work with".

    By Blogger web_copywriter, at 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home