Web copywriting - the good and the not-so-good

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Be careful what you blog

I met one of my clients this week to take a brief on editing the copy on their (fairly chunky) website. My client had obviously done his homework by checking up on this here blog - but thankfully the only offending comments he could find were my obsession with Volvo Car Corporation.

In the immoral words of Dudley Moore, "They're boxy but they're safe".

I actually have fond memories of reading David Abbott's 1980s ads for Volvo when I was growing up. Maybe it's a Sunday supplement, middle-class thing, but Abbott's copy really connected with me. I still rave about the tone of voice in these ads today. And much as I admire Innocent Drinks, I find their copy style artlessly copied by lesser brands. David Abbot did something different, and his copy really stands out as belonging to the brand.

The long-winded moral? If you're going to blog, be prepared to take a hammering over your choice of automobile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home